What I Learned From Slimming World

13:24 Unknown 0 Comments



Okay Okay Okay.
I have a substantial amount of weight to lose, and a significant amount of health to gain. I joined Slimming World in November of 2015, after hearing many success stories and wanting to write my own. I followed the plan to a T and lost a stone in a month. I began reading about health and exercise and found that some of the information I'd found did not quite fit with Slimming World's ethos.

I want to lose weight and this is no secret, but I also want to be healthy. I want to nourish my body in the healthiest way and do so by ensuring my nutrition is as natural, raw and balanced as it can possibly be. When I first started Slimming World, i thought it was a revolutionary way of thinking about diet. I loved the idea of Healthy Extra A's and Healthy Extra B's, which basically limit milk/cheese and refined carbs. I loved that you could still have "naughty" things as long as you synned them. I enjoyed going to group and hearing people's new recipe ideas and how they had done that week.



A typical breakfast of Scrambled Egg and Salmon



Then I downloaded My Fitness Pal. I started logging what I was eating and drinking, and noticed that my suggested calorie intake was going in to minus everyday. The idea of "free food" on Slimming World means that you can eat as much as you like of certain foods. You had to fill a third of your plate of "Speed" foods (basically certain fruit and vegetables) but other than that, could eat any amount of what you wanted from the list of free foods provided to you.
I tracked this for the month that I was on Slimming World. I discovered that they would prefer you to have a syn-free serving of "Mug Shot" (a cuppa soup/pot noodle hybrid" as opposed to a high syn serving of all natural avocado. I accept that avocado does have a relatively high fat value, but I was under the impression that there are "good fats" and "bad fats" and that it's important to still ensure you intake a small amount of "good fat" in your diet. Apparently not, according to Slimming World.


My packed lunches are always protein (chicken/turkey) with veg like kale and mushrooms.


My mum is a type 2 diabetic who lost a good amount of weight tracking her calories, and followed SW to the T much like me. She put on 5lbs in the first week. The SW Consultant was adamant that my mother actually hadn't followed the plan, and maybe she should try exercising less or cutting out having pineapple/fruit for her evening snack, and replacing it with a Muller Light yoghurt. My mum was dumbfounded. She knew that fruit wasn't the best thing for a diabetic, and treated the evening pineapple snack as a massive treat much like how others in the group would have a bottle of prosecco or a bar of dairy milk. We were shocked!

Since Christmas, I have left SW. I have decided instead to plan my meals to be the healthiest they can be, and to track my calories and exercise to ensure that I don't go over my personal daily limit of 1,410 calories. I have lost 4lbs in a week. I still stick to some principles, for example, I limit my milk and cheese intake, I don't really eat refined carbs and if i do, I limit it. I vary my diet and enjoy cooking from fresh. I fill my plate with healthy veg and chicken, turkey, or fish. I even enjoy a steak on the occasion.


Delicious bloody steak with a lorra lorra veg! 



Slimming World works fantastically for some people. They enjoy the food and find the group helpful. I really feel that if it works for you, then go for it!

I am working on My Fitness Pal, and am going to try it this way for a month, to see if my results differ. If you want to add me on MFP my username is: eleanorfinnerty

I shall keep you updated! Have you got any tips for weight-loss that you feel really work? I'd love to hear it. I'd love to read about anyones weight loss journey, so if you can recommend any blogs I'd be really grateful!

Thanks for Reading,

Ellie xx










0 comments: