The Perks of Being a WallFlower - Book Review!

12:05 Unknown 0 Comments


After months of only reading paperbacks/hardbacks, I fell back in love with my kindle this week. I literally hadn't been on it in months, and immediately wanted to buy hundreds of books! However, I had a nosy through my library and saw that I had quite a few that I hadn't read yet, so decided to make a dent on them.


The perks of being a wallflower is a novel written in diary form, with the main character Charlie writing to his "friend". Generally as a rule I really enjoy this format of book, as it's different to what I normally read. Without spoiling anything, it just tells the story of Charlie and his encounters with his family and friends, and looking at life through his eyes. With a sprinkle of indie music, this book offers a refreshing look at the "coming of age" genre, whilst also being respectful and almost helpful to some real hard social issues. Maybe make sure you have a packet of tissues with you! 


Unfortunately for me, I'd actually seen the film before I read the book (whoops) and actually didn't enjoy it massively. It stars the likes of Emma Watson, Nina Dobrev and Logan Lerman, but I really struggled to connect with Charlie.
I definitely recommend reading the book first, this insight in to his world is invaluable and having watched the film since reading the book, I enjoyed it so much more. 


Overall, I'm not massively in love with this book, but I did enjoy it. I feel like it's important as it deals with so many social issues, and the format is so easy to read that it's a very relaxing book. I feel like the critical acclaim had me expecting this book to be an absolute masterpiece, and although it's good, it doesn't quite hit that mark for me.
Having said that, it's a very good read. The characters are all likeable and particularly towards the end of the story, you get an insight as to why Charlie thinks the way he does. 

There are big secrets in this book so it's kind of hard writing a "no spoiler review", but i've tried.

Have you read this, or seen the film? What did you think to it?

Thank you for reading,
Ellie x













0 comments: