A Week in Qatar...

20:14 Unknown 0 Comments




My dad has lived in Qatar for a year now, working as a traffic manager for an American company. He went out there to work as the pay was a lot better, and he felt it was an opportunity too good to miss. Obviously my family and I disagree with his choice, but of course support him. He lives in a villa with another English man on a small complex. Despite him being there for a year, I was apprehensive to go over there to see him, much preferring for him to come home. 
I bit the bullet however, and spent over 11 hours travelling to spend a week in Doha, Qatar. 


I have visited the Middle East before, but only in tourist haven Turkey. I was aware of the countries wish for people to be respectful, ensuring that shoulders and knees were covered at all times. I was happy to oblige; I believe when visiting any country you should always show respect to their customs and culture. Despite the blistering heat, my family and I adhered to this rule. 

Something really unnerving in this county, is the staring. Despite covering up my mother, sister and I were constantly under watch, with people (particularly men) staring you as though you were a bit of meat. To me, it didn't feel like they were staring in a sexual way, but as though they hadn't never seen a woman before! It was really bizarre, and I was so aware of the fact I was a woman... which sounds really strange! It's something that I really didn't appreciate at all, especially when I was not doing anything stare-worthy! 

Though it may be the culture, I really felt as though I wasn't welcome as a woman. 

The photo above is from when we visited The Souk. A gorgeous market type place that sells everything from pashmina's to parrots! We had a walk around, and then went for dinner in an Iraqi restaurant. Having never eaten Iraqi food, I can confirm it is gorgeous! Lots of succulent meat seasoned to perfection, served with warm flat breads and a large variety of dips. 


Above is the Qatar skyline, which lit up beautifully at night. All of the buildings shone in completely different colours, which was difficult to capture in this photograph. 
Another thing that shocked me about Qatar is that... well... It doesn't feel finished? It is difficult to be a pedestrian as I did not walk along one single path that was finished. There were always bricks missing, or the path would just come to a complete finish. Very strange. Though some of the city is very extravagant, quite a bit of it shows that this is a country still under construction. 

Qatar is a country that has come under fire recently, with claims of FIFA bribery and poor working conditions. Having been and gaining a basic feel for the country, I can't really recommend it to anyone... yet. I feel that maybe in 10 years time, when it's actually finished, it will have the same pizazz as somewhere like Dubai. It's still growing and forming, and finding it's identity. 

One wonderful thing about Qatar, is the pure mash-up of Cultures. Everything from American to Nepalese, Qatari to Indonesian, there is a community for so many countries here. From this, it means we get amazing food and an amazing dip in to all these other cultures. I love this about Qatar. 

Visit Qatar... Just maybe not yet. Would you ever go? Or is it a place you would ever want to visit? 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks for Reading,

Ellie xx 















0 comments: