How To: Be a Kitten Mummy/Daddy!

14:21 Unknown 0 Comments



Towards the end of last year, Luke and I sat down and discussed an idea we had been thinking about for a few months. We wanted a kitten! or 2. 
When you think about getting a pet, there are a few questions that you have to ask yourself first. 

1. Do I have the time to effectively care and love my pet? 

Myself and Luke work full-time, so wanted a pet that wouldn't need 24/7 attention, but that would still want the attention when we are there. Luckily, our now cats are very happy in their routine that slots perfectly in to ours. 

2. Do I have enough space for my pet?

All pets need to have enough space to be comfortable. Whether it be cat, dog, hamster, fish, they all need to have enough space to be able to have an area for food and water, litter, play and sleep. Most rescue agencies may wish to do a home visit beforehand, to make sure that your space is both enough and safe. For example, any holes in walls and free wires are unsuitable for kittens, as they will find the smallest spaces to hide and will play with anything. 

3. Will I still be able to care for this pet for the rest of its life? 

When you get a pet, you should definitely think about their lifespan and whether you are able to care for the pet for the duration. Though we can't predict the future (certain landlords, circumstances) most of us have a rough idea of where our lives may be headed. For example, myself and Luke are currently staying at home until we can get a mortgage to move in to our place. If you are planning on travelling the world, or going away to uni, it may be best to hold off until you are back home. Unfortunately, some of are not always in a position to keep the pet for the rest of their life, but it's important in my opinion that you think it through to avoid certain rehoming. 

4. Can I afford my pet?

Vets fees, food, toys, insurance, the list goes on. All pets cost money, and generally the larger the animal the more they cost. If you cannot find the money in your budget, it may be worth reconsidering the decision. Certain charities can help with the cost of keeping pets however, and as long as you have the love to give then you may be able to still find a way to afford keeping your furry friend! 


Okay, boring stuff out of the way. Though I have had dogs in my life, I've never been the sole owner of a kitten or 2. My two boys have been mentioned a few times on the blog and as you may or may not know, they are called Bilbo and Ralphie. Bilbo is the fluffier, smaller, yet more dominant of the two, and definitely more playful. Ralphie is larger, but more submissive to Bilbo, and a definite mummy's boy. 

When we bought our kittens, we bought them from a friend of a friend, and went to visit the kittens and their actual mum a few times before we brought them home. When buying a kitten or puppy, it's important to see the parent/s and ask of their temperament. I wanted quite calm pets, and though all babies are playful, I didn't want a little furry maniac. Both of our kittens' parents were very calm, despite being rather young themselves. 


Once we'd bought our babies home, we had made sure that they had lots of toys and things to keep them occupied. Kittens may be very frightened and not want to approach you straight away. They might hide under or behind the sofa and not wish to come out for a few hours. Ours most certainly did! But we left them to it and eventually they came out, had a drink and had a play together. I wanted to them feel safe and not get in to their space whilst they were still getting used to their new one. 


Unlike puppies, cats can be described as easier to train. The only thing that we had to teach our kittens to do was to use their litter tray, and luckily they had been using one at their first home. I put it in a set area, and placed them in there a few times throughout the day and they used it straight away! I think this may have been sheer luck however. 

In regards to food, I made sure I brought the same brand as what they had been eating with their mum, and they never had a problem with eating. They love the Felix Ocean Selection, and when i've tried them on any other brands they didn't so much as sniff it! I fed them half a pouch each in the morning, and half a pouch each in the evening, with a bowl of dried biscuit set down throughout the day. As they've got older, i've increased this to a pouch each morning and night, and less dry food, as per the advice of my vet. 


In regards to a veterinary practice, we immediately signed up to one near our home. As of April next year, it will be illegal to not microchip your pets. It's incredibly important that you get your cats microchipped, particularly if they are going to be going outside. If they roam too far and get lost, your cat's microchip can be checked against a database with your details on, and returned to you. It costs approximately £12 per pet, and though the needle looks big, my cats didn't even flinch. 

Your vet will also check their teeth, coat, and weight, and give them very important vaccines. We have our kittens signed up to a Health Plan at the vets, that means we pay monthly to receive check ups, vaccines, and discounts on services should they need them. I like this, as I feel I never have to pay in bulk for anything, and that most of the care is already paid for. 


Finally, the most important way to care for your pet is to love them. Despite what some of the internet may say, cats are incredibly affectionate and love to cuddle. My cats are constantly headbutting and rubbing themselves over me, and just want my undivided attention whenever i'm with them. I love the company they provide me with, and really enjoy playing with them. 

Do you have any tips for first-time pet owners? Or could you improve on any tips i have mentioned?

Thanks for Reading! 

Ellie xx 























0 comments: